Online search is how people find your content. Making your website, blog, and social media sites search engine friendly includes creating relevant content, accessible site architecture, relevant internal links (within your site) as well as inbound links from other sites, keyword and code optimization. The processes of doing this include SEO and SEM.
Search Engine Optimization, or SEO, is the process of improving your website so search engines can easily access and retrieve your content. Optimizing for search engines helps your site rank higher in the organic listings. Organic listings are the results that you get when you do a search that are not paid for.
The listings that are paid for, paid placement, tie into Search Engine Marketing, or SEM. SEM is a way of marketing your website through tools such as PPC, or Pay-per-click, and contextual advertising. Pay per click means just that – you pay when someone clicks on your ad. Contextual advertising is when the search engine (like Google) showsadvertisements that are related to the keywords used in the search.
- SEO and SEM Begin with Keywords. The idea is to utilize specific words and phrases that your potential customers would use to find your business or product.
- SEO – Html Meta tags include the title tag, description and keywords tags. Your title tag should include one or two of your most relevant keywords or phrases. Your keywords meta tag should list the words or phrases that “best describe the contents of the page. The description meta tag includes a brief one- or two-sentence description of the page.
- Pay Per Click Basics – Once you’ve developed your keywords into content and put in your meta tags, you can begin with an SEM pay per click account, if it’s in your budget to do so.
- SEM and Your Landing Pages – When you write each PPC ad you will want to send the customer who clicks on it to the landing page with the information or product mentioned.
- Targeted Ad Copy – Ensure that your ad headlines and descriptors relate to the keywords being searched.
SEO and SEM can be confusing and challenging. Limited budgets often make it difficult to know how much money to put toward the different keywords in your Pay Per Click campaigns and which areas of SEO to build out first. And for effective SEO and SEM you need to know your keywords well, have solid SEO and SEM strategies in place, and know what to implement when.
Feel like banging your head against the wall when it comes to developing and implementing an effective SEO and SEM strategy? Tangerine Marketing will get you started or direct your online marketing spend more efficiently.
1. Web Page Marketing: Getting Familiar with SEO and SEM Basics
2. Google Disclosure for using Third party Agencies for Pay-per-click